Location: Brighton bathing boxes
A couple of weeks ago, I took my mom to see the Brighton beach bathing boxes to share one of my favourite sites in Melbourne. I obviously love this site because of all the bright colours, they simply make me smile.
Unfortunately, I got down to the beach and realised I did not have a memory card in my camera (oops). So the quality photos I had wanted to capture I couldn’t do but I did take a couple iPhone shots (on instagram) and for my mom to have for keepsake.
I always wondered if you could rent the bathing boxes out for the day and here is what interesting facts I just learnt about them;
● There is no electricity or running water.
●You must be a Bayside ratepayer to buy a Dendy St bathing box.
● Licensees are not allowed to rent or sublet their bathing boxes.
● Licensees are not allowed to sleep in or use their bathing boxes as accommodation.
● Originally was a waiting list for a bathing box, and paid about $11,000 for them; now they sell for up to $260,000.
● Bathing box designs and colours must not be used as advertising, or be painted in colours to advertise a business.
So I guess ever stepping foot into one of the these cute bathing boxes is out of the question.
Thanks for reading.